Sunday 26 February 2012

Interview with a Production Designer: John Barry

Production Designer John Barry is best known for his work on Star Wars: Episode IV (1977), A Clockwork Orange (1971) and Superman I (1978) and II (1980). Barry started his career in the Art department on the 1963 epic, Cleopatra, Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, and is now well known in the film industry (IMDB). In 1979 Barry collapsed during filming of Star Wars: Episode V (1980), and later died of meningitis, but his imaginative design work still lives on (IMDB).

I was reading a book the other day and came across an interesting quote by Barry:

“I like doing science fiction and fantasy films. You can let yourself go. I prefer designing surrealist things. I find it much easier, too, because you’re free to choose. When you’re in a jam, you can simply change the rules.”
(Ede, L. 2010. P169)

I think this is a really good quote and really helps me with my project. I agree with Barry that designing surrealist things are much more fun as your imagination is the only limit to what you can create. The last part about how you can “simple change the rules” is perfect for answering my research question. To create fantasy nature you just simply change the rules of real nature. You make water plants live on land, small plants large, large plants small, combine animal species, fuse organic and manmade together, the list goes on.

I can simply... change the rules


Ede, L (2010) British Film Design: A history. I.B.Tauris,

No comments:

Post a Comment